Children and window cords don’t mix. According to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, about once a month a child between 7 months and 10 years dies from window cord strangulation and another child suffers from a near strangulation. When window cords are within reach for small children, these seemingly harmless products may become hazards.
Window coverings with cords are cited as one of the top 5 hidden hazards in the home, and not all blinds and shades are created equal when it comes to child safety. At Blinds.com, we are committed to communicating this information, and offering innovative products that create safer homes.
Learn more about window cord safety and other ways you can make your home safer on our Window Covering Safety page.
Follow These Basic Window Covering Safety Rules:
Even with safety features, home owners must occasionally check and make sure window treatments are in good working order.
- Install only cordless window coverings in young children’s bedrooms and sleeping areas. Replace window blinds, corded shades and draperies manufactured before 2001 with today’s safer products.
- Move all cribs, beds, furniture and toys away from windows and window cords, preferably to another wall. These items could act as unintentional “step stools” that allow a child to reach a window or cord.
- Keep all window pull cords and inner lift cords out of the reach of children. Secure long pull cords with cord cleats.
- Make sure continuous-loop cords are permanently anchored to the floor or wall.
- Make sure cord stops are properly installed and adjusted to limit movement of inner lift cords.
- Lock cords into position whenever horizontal blinds or shades are lowered, including when they come to rest on a window sill.
- Never mount products with accessible back cords, such as Roman or Woven Wood Shades, within reach of children.
How to Repair Older Window Treatments
The Window Covering Safety Council recommends replacing or repairing older window treatments, and offers free retrofit kits for the following products:
Blinds.com Recommends These Safer Products for Kids and Pets:
Roller and Solar Shades
Any of these Horizontal Shadings with the Motorized operating system chosen are safer for kids and pets. This innovative design gives you the benefits of a shade and blind in one and gives you the added convenience of programmable remote control.
Any of these Vertical Shadings with the Motorized operating system chosen are completely cord-free.
Woven Wood Sliding Panels with Wand Control are a natural window covering for french doors, sliding glass doors, or large windows.
Sheer Weave Sliding Panels with Wand Control have no cords, and are a great solution for large windows and glass doors. They reduce glare while blocking harmful UV rays.
For more information visit: